Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and the vibrant red colour of beets makes them the perfect star of this Sweetheart Beet Salad. Enjoy this beautiful salad as a starter to your love day meal or add protein like chicken, fish, steak or chickpeas and enjoy as a main dish.
While the fantastic colours and creamy pink tahini dressing make this salad a Valentine’s Day winner, it’s perfect any time of year. It’s light and colourful enough for the warmer months yet filling and satisfying for the colder months too.
Plus with roasted hazelnuts, goat cheese and orange slices, you’ll be talking about the flavours in this salad for weeks to come.
Not only are beets are so pretty to look at, they are also very good for you. Beets are super high in vitamin C. Vit C is not only crucial to boosting the immune system, it also plays a vital role in the body’s production of collagen. Collagen helps to keep your skin elastic and youthful-looking. Oh la la!
Beets also contain nutrients that help fight cancer and inflammation, and are a good source of fibre, as well as B vitamin folate. Hazelnuts and tahini provide a boost of healthy fats, calcium and so much flavour and fresh oranges take this salad to a whole new level.
Make this delicious salad for your friends, family and loved ones on Valentine’s Day or any other day of the year. With it’s beautiful colours and flavours, it’s sure to impress!
Sweetheart Beet Salad
2 handfuls of vibrant mixed greens
3 small beets
1/2 cup raw hazelnuts
1/2 cup goat cheese
2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
For the Pink Tahini Dressing:
1/2 cup beets (use leftovers from salad after cutting hearts)
3 tbsp fresh orange juice (use half orange from salad)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp neutral oil (like extra light olive oil, avocado or macadamia)
1/2 tbsp raw honey
Pinch of sea salt
- Roast beets: Remove beet greens and root. Wash beets thoroughly. Pat dry and rub with oil. Wrap in foil and bake in 400F oven for 20-30min until easily pierced with a fork. Then gently rub to remove the skins. You can use gloves to prevent your fingers from turning red. (You can also purchase cooked beets to avoid this step. Just make sure they are not pickled.)
- Roast hazelnuts: Place hazelnuts on a roasting pan and roast for 3-5 minutes with the beets. Remove from oven and wrap in foil. Wait a few minutes until slightly cooled, then you can then easily peel the skins with your fingers.
- Make heart beets: Slice cooked beets into rounds, approximately 1/2 centimetre thick. Using a small, heart-shaped cookie cutter, press the cutter into the cooked beets to make little hearts.
- Prepare oranges: Depending on the juiciness of your orange, you will need 3 tbsp for the dressing. I used half an orange for juice and sliced the remaining half orange into thin slices and then into quarters. You could also cut the orange into wedges.
- Make the Pink Tahini dressing: Chop the leftover beets into small pieces (about 1x1cm) and measure 1/2 cup of beets. Place beets and remaining ingredients into small blender. (I like to use the smoothie cup attachment of my blender). Blend on high until smooth and beautifully pink.
- Blend sauce: Blend sauce on high until smooth. Be sure to taste and adjust to your preferences. Not all oranges are equally sweet and different tahini pastes tend to have a stronger flavour than others. Add apple cider vinegar for tartness, salt for saltiness and orange juice or honey for sweetness.
- Assemble salad: On a large plate, place a handful of greens. Sprinkle with roasted hazelnuts, pieces of goat cheese and arrange beet hearts and orange wedges. Sprinkle with fresh chives and drizzle pink tahini dressing.
- Enjoy as a beautiful stand alone salad or pair with fish, chicken, steak or chickpeas for a main meal.
For the perfect compliment to your Sweetheart Beet Salad, try this Flourless Orange Chocolate Cake. It’s the best!