Last week Ben and I visited Chicago and on our way back to Toronto, we had a very early morning flight. We managed to find some quick and healthy breakfast options at O’Hare airport. A mixed veg “shakshuka” with baked egg on top hit the spot. It was delicious and exactly what we needed.
The next day, Ben was feeling under the weather and his special sicky request was a remake of our Chicago breakfast. This is what resulted. Humility out the window, it was damn delicious! The veggies had a nice crunch to them, the avo was rich and creamy, and the kimchi and cayenne gave the whole dish a fantastic kick.
It took very little time to make and because I made it in two ceramic dishes, this would be the perfect breakfast to make if you’re in the mood for a gourmet breakfast for one (or two).
Veggie and Egg Skillet for Two
Half red bell pepper, sliced
10 asparagus stalks, chopped into bite size pieces
5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1/4 large yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp coconut oil
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne
1/4 cup crumbled feta
1/2 ripe avocado, chopped
1/4 cup kimchi
chives for garnish
– Prep veggies.
– Melt coconut oil in a pan or skillet.
– Place pepper, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and onions in skillet and add garlic powder, salt and cayenne. Lightly stirfry until warmed through and slightly tender, about 4min.
– Remove off heat and add feta, avo and kimchi.
– If using a pan, divide mix into two oven safe ceramic baking dishes. If using a skillet, leave mix in skillet.
– Crack 3-4 eggs on top of veggie mix and broil for about 5min until eggs are cooked through.
This is the perfect, light, colourful and healthy breakfast that feels indulgent enough for a Sunday morning yet is quick and easy enough for any day of the week.